Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wild about Running Wild

I have loved many of Michael Morpurgo's books - they tell good stories and are beautifully written. They pull you in....and "Running Wild" did that and more. The premise is very much like those wonderful stories in "The Jungle Book" by Rudyard Kipling which were Morpurgo's favourite childhood tales. Hence when he heard about the terrible tsunami in Indonesia on Boxing Day in 2004 this laid the groundwork for his own "Elephants Child" tale.

Morpurgo read how the elephants and other animals seemed to know that something terrible was going to happen but he also read how one young boy on holiday, taking a ride on an elephant along the beach, was saved after his elephant ran away from the beach up into the jungle moments before the tsunami struck. In "Running Wild" Will is the young boy on holiday with his mother. When his elephant, Oona, takes off into the jungle, she never stops running and never goes back. Will thinks his mother was lost in the tsunami and he soon realizes he owes his life to Oona. They form this rare bond and together they travel through the jungle meeting up with those amazing creatures, orangutans. Civilization finally does intrude on his peaceful existence and not in a nice way. This is such a heart warming story and I loved it.

What are you reading today?

1 comment:

Alice33 said...

I finally managed to get a copy of Heist Society,the book I've been wanting to read!I like it very much,and I thinlbthe story a good one.I also tried Coraline this summer,due to the fact that a lot my friends say that it's good.I found it a little creepy though.I just lucky I didn't get any nightmares!