Monday, August 24, 2009

One Of My Favourites

I was so excited to go book shopping this week to see a new addition to one of my favourite series "The Ranger's Apprentice" titled "The Siege of Macindaw". This is Book 6 in the series by Australian author John Flanagan and is a continuation of the story begun in "The Sorcerer of the North". This fantasy novel is set in Araluen, a take-off of medievel England, and its main character Will is a boy whose job as a Ranger is to overcome the traitorous Sir Keren and his band of criminals who have taken possesion of a castle in the desolate north. His friend Alyss has been captured and is a prisoner in the castle and Will not only has to free her but find a band of fighting men to help stave off the attack of the Scotti. Well written and very exciting this is a series not to be missed.
Another day, another book.... this one is a quick read but entertaining and fun. "Lawn Boy" by Gary Paulsen is about a 12 year old boy who becomes rich, very very rich after he gets a riding mower for his birthday from his grandma. It starts when he cuts his own lawn and his neighbour asks him to cut his and then his neighbour asks him to cut his and then his....... But one of his new "customers" asks to invest his money instead of giving him the cash. This leads to a return of hundreds then thousands of dollars as our boy learns about investing and capitalism. A very good way for kids to be introduced to how hard work and investing in the stock market can pay off.

I have about 20 or even 30 more books to read - so off I go. ( I think I will finish the Battle of the Labyrinth - I put it aside when I saw the Ranger's Apprentice!)

What are you reading today?

No comments: