Sunday, May 30, 2010

Exciting Adventure

I have had this book "Middleworld" Book 1 of The Jaguar Stones by J & P Voelkel sitting beside my bed for a while now but just picked it up to read last night. I wasn't sure if it was my type of book. The cover looks like an adventure story and I have read a few recently and they were just ok. But I must have liked this one as I did not put it down till I finished it tonight. It is quite a ride - very unbelievable but fun and exciting - just like Indiana Jones. Max is a 14 year old who is whisked off to the land of the Mayans after his archaeologist parents disappear there. Very strange things are happening, one of which is the theft of a rare object, one of the five Jaguar stones, that is about to be illegally sold. Max decides to follow the thief and get back the stone but instead gets wrapped up in ancient myths and prophecies. A Mayan girl named Lola helps him maneuver the jungle and its inhabitants and helps him escape from a very determined and evil Spaniard who is after him. Would you believe two howler monkeys play an important and amusing part? This book is chockablock full of Mayan facts and history and is quite fascinating the way it weaves pyramids, sacrifices and secret tunnels into the story.

What are your reading today?

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Well right now I am reading the 39 Clues series. I am waiting for my friend to lend me the book Storm Warning.