Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Scorch Trials


I have learned that I best write when I have just finished reading as the impact of the book is still fresh in my mind. My other recent reads over the holidays have faded and I will have to revisit them to regain their full effect.

So here it is New Years Day and I have just finished "The Scorch Trials" by James Dashner. This is the sequel to "The Maze Runner" and I will let you know now that this is not the end.

This book is for the very mature reader, ones who like "The Hunger Games" I think will like this one. But this is even darker and more evil in its theme. The characters are watched and manipulated however not for the entertainment of a country but for the survival of the world and nothing is sacred, certainly not life.

At the beginning of this book Thomas and his Gladers think they are finally safe from Wicked, the organization responsible for the Maze. Quickly they find out this is not so. There is another trial they are forced into where these few remaining boys are given the seemingly impossible task of making it across one hundred miles of vast wasteland to a safe haven while hindered by Cranks, deteriorating humans infected with a disease, and science fuelled monsters as well as horrific weather conditions; unbearable heat and severe lightning strikes.

Thrown into this equation is the fact that Thomas's friend Teresa has been taken, replaced by a boy who describes the exact same experience Thomas and his friends have gone through with one exception, the players were girls with him being the only boy.

Memories surface that describe patterns and variables being used in this trial and Thomas knows the stakes to survive have been raised.

This is such a thriller but certainly not for the faint of heart.

What are you reading today?

1 comment:

Alice33 said...

Oh, the Scorch Trials. I was so creeped out in the beginning part that I read, all those people!! Yikes!