Sunday, December 5, 2010

Out of My Mind


"Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper is one of those amazing books that kept me reading into the wee hours of the night when I knew I had an early start. It didn't matter... I had to finish and it was worth it. It brought me to tears (Page 138!) and I cheered and applauded so many small yet meaningful victories throughout.

"Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words. Maybe millions. ...... Words have swirled around me like snowflakes, each one delicate and different, each one melting untouched in my hands."

And with these words we begin the story of Melody, an eleven year old girl who has never used these words, she has never spoken, she has never written. She can't... she has cerebral palsy. Her body is her prison but inside this prison there is an amazing girl, one who has a photographic memory and is brilliant.

Her doctors and teachers think she is incapable of learning but her parents and caregiver believe in her and insist on sending her to school. Her classmates are all special and the program she is in in driving her "out of her mind" with its mindless repetition of the alphabet and cartoons until one day Melody discovers something that will change her world, something that will give her a voice where she can be heard.

Read this book - you will love it too.

What are you reading today?

1 comment:

Alice33 said...

Oh, I love Out of My Mind! Melody is amazing, withstanding so much while all of her classmates laugh and tease her. She is amazingly intelligent yet everyone judges her by her cover.(Clarie and Molly)The book was so good I could not put it down until my mom said I had to go to bed-now.

-Carmen