Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Maze Runner


I like puzzles but "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner is not a puzzle that I would want to be a part of.

In this eerie compelling book our main character, Thomas, wakes up in an dark box that is clanking noisily as its rises upwards. While he knows his name Thomas remembers nothing else; who he is, where he comes from, where he is. The doors open and 60 boys await him... 60 boys who have been living in this area they call "The Glade" for up to two years, one new boy being delivered each month. They think they can escape by running and exploring the adjoining maze but so far without success. Huge doors to the maze are closed at night and horrific Grievers, creatures that are part beast, part machine, prey on any runner caught in the maze after dark. Thomas is still trying to figure things out when everything changes; a girl is lifted into The Glade" the next day with the ominous message that the game is ending.....

This book has you in its clutches right from the beginning... like a love/hate relationship.... full of tension that has me sitting on the edge of my chair but wanting to know what is going to happen next and not being able to put it down.

Not for the faint of heart and definitely for the mature readers.

What are you reading today?

2 comments:

Alice33 said...

I am reading MockingJay by Suzanne Collins, and I'm soooo hooked!!! I wanted to get Smile but it sold out really fast! A friend of mine had read smile before it was being sold at the book fair. It had sounded really good! I might try and get a copy...



- Carmen

LTornroos said...

See me!