Sunday, July 18, 2010

Magical

Another of the YRCA for 2011 is "Savvy" by Ingrid Law. This Newberry Honor book is quite magical. When I begin a new book I look for 3 things; an interesting main character whom I connect to, a plot that is original with twists and turns to keep me turning pages quickly and finally, good writing that stops me in my tracks and has me reread a passage simply for the beauty of the language or the images it evokes. Ideally it also has to hook me in the first few pages. I found Savvy to have an unusual main character named Mibs, an equally unusual plot about a family that attains supernatural powers when they turn 13, with some exquisite language woven into it. Confusing at first I was not hooked easily and did have to keep at it till I realized I needed to keep reading. 37 chapters full of an adventure for Mibs, her older brother Fish, her younger brother Samson and a preacher's rebellious daughter along with her likable brother. It is Mibs 13th birthday, the day she will find out what her savvy, her magical power, is. But her father is injured seriously in a car accident and all she can think of is getting to the hospital in the neighbouring town to see her father to help him. She stows away on an old pink bus that is making delivers to the town but following her on board are the above cast of characters. When the bus pulls out however it does not turn left like it should, it turns right! Uh - oh.....

I also know I like a book when it makes me cry and this one did - just a little!

What are you reading today?

No comments: