Monday, June 14, 2010

The Chronicles of Prydain

I have had these books on my shelves for years and years and thought they looked good but was so busy reading new books I never found the time to read these old ones. I am talking about Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain series beginning with "The Book of Three" followed by "The Black Cauldron", "Taran Wanderer, "The Castle of Llyr" and finally Newberry Award winner "The High King". I read 4 out of the 5 simply because I forgot to bring one home!
I liked them. Do they compare with "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini? Not quite but I do think they were the forerunner of very good fantasy literature. They are more simple in storyline and telling but I really liked the main character, an assistant pig keeper named Taran who, at the beginning of the series, is this young, brash, idealistic boy intent on setting his mark on the world fighting evil. Along the way he attracts friends such as a feisty princess, a bard, a small hairy creature, some dwarfs, and a prince to name just a few and gains in knowledge of himself and his world. His common sense prevails as he gets himself and others into all sorts of problems. The last book was the hardest to read as the last battle is the hardest and some dear friends are sacrificed.

What are you reading today?

No comments: