Thursday, July 2, 2009

Too Busy Reading

I love it when I have time to read... 3 books in 10 days ....sigh. I have just been down to Vancouver Kidsbooks and picked up a stack of books! I have them in 3 big piles; ones for younger readers, lots for middle readers and quite a few for older readers! If I don't specify it is good for all readers!

For older readers (OR) I read and recommend the second of The Icemark Chronicles called "The Blade of Fire". This book, by Stuart Hill, has it if you are looking for intrigue, violent battles and sorcery but also the coming of age of a young prince whose disability has kept him less sure of himself. As Prince Charlemagne sets off on his own adventure, he exhibits great strengths and forges great friendships. What makes this book so interesting is the relationship of Queen Thirrin of Icemark with her allies; giant snow leopards, werewolves and even vampires. Not for the faint of heart as the fighting is very descriptive. Another sequel is on the way.


For the YR (younger reader) I read and loved "Gooney the Fabulous" by Lois Lowry. Of course I loved the first book "Gooney Bird Greene" and have read it with many of our Grade 3's. This one is just as satisfying as we read about Gooney Bird's fabulous idea, students writing fables about an animal beginning with the student's first initial of their name. Guess what animal Gooney creates a fable about? Let me give you a hint... it is not a goose! Great way to learn about fables and of course Gooney is such an engaging character, very unique and wise beyond her years.And the third book I have just finished is another book in the series about girls learning to be spies at the GallagherAcademy for Exceptional Young Women called "Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover" by Ally Carter. It follows "Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy" and "I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You". Light, entertaining, full of escapades these girl spies get into and, hopefully, out of.

What have you read today?

1 comment:

Alice33 said...

I love the Gallagher Girls. I really do. I just sorta went crazy at the end of Don`t Judge a Girl by Her Cover.If you like this one, please try Only The Good Spy Young!